2007-09-17

keyboard and mouse sharing over network

hmmm,

I'm having a laptop and a desktop, and I want both to be controllable by one set of keyboard+mouse. I discovered synergy (client existing for Microsoft Windows, linux, mac os x, ...(?)). You can find it at sourceforge if you don't find it with your distribution.
Now I configured my laptop to be client, my desktop to be server. The server accepting connection from my laptop.
Now I can access my laptop using the keyboard & mouse of my desktop for both.

Configuration of my windows (Server):

  • Start synergy (on windows machine)
  • select "share this computer's keyboard and mouse"
  • press "configure" (see image right).

  • press the + button in the screens-section (once for all machines you wish to configure, add the server like this AND all the clients.
  • in the "Links" section, configure where which display is "logically positioned", so when leaving the display (using the mouse-cursor) at one side, where should it enter (at what side).
    Also provide (if needed) a "return"-link:
    (DON'T THINK that if you configure to leave machine-A through your left-screen-side for the right-screen-side of machine-B, you'll automatically configure the right-side of machine-B to return to the left-side of machine-A, because you don't).

configuring the client:

  • Now you don't have to configure your client, only to launch it and tell it what server to connect. [code]synergyc server[/code] (see man synergyc for extra options).


Now having it working, I set the synergy software to launch automatically

Windows:

  • server to launch automatically (using the "autostart" button on the windows synergy application).


Linux (Ubuntu Feisty Fawn):
implementing suggestions on (amongst others Ubuntu-forums, I also launch synergyc automatically).

  • I created a script synergyc_start with the instructions to execute:
    #!/bin/sh
    synergyc servername

  • and added an invocation of that script in /etc/gdm/Init/Default, before the sysmodmap=-line.
  • and added another invocation of that script in /etc/gdm/PreSession/Default before the XSETROOT=-line.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home